LCHF Vegetarian Recipe
Garlic Roasted Mushrooms with Walnut Crumble
The humble mushroom – an earthy sponge that will draw in the combined walnut and blue cheese flavours of this recipe. They’re great for serving at parties or as a vegetarian LCHF appetiser, and also make an excellent side dish for Prawn Veracruz or Mighty Meatballs (found on page 102 and 140 respectively of What The Fat? Recipes).
- 12 medium sized Portobello Mushrooms
- 150g Blue Cheese (or Feta), at room temp
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of fresh or dried Rosemary or Thyme, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fan assisted (or 200 degrees celsius for regular bake) ovens, and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Trim or “pick” the stem out of each mushroom, lay on the prepared tray and drizzle with Olive Oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients and also season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the mushrooms and bake for 6-7 minutes before switching to high grill and grilling for a further 2-3 minutes until golden and the walnuts have toasted. Keep an eye on the walnuts as they can burn easily!