This is our version of LCHF bircher muesli, and is one of our brand new recipes featured in our new book, What The Fat? Recipes.
A word from Chef Craig:
We reckon even 1900s Swiss Physician Maximillian Bircher-Benner who invented the traditional version for his patients would be impressed with this LCHF Bircher! For a decadent variation, heat it up (microwave is easiest), sprinkle over some berries and pour on some cream.
- 2/3 C chia seeds
- 3/4 C cream or coconut cream
- 1 C water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- A few raspberries (frozen, fresh or freeze dried) – optional extra
- Place all ingredients apart from the raspberries together in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide between 4 serving bowls, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour – preferably longer if you like to prep well in advance, many people will let it sit overnight ready for breakfast in the morning.
- Sprinkle over your raspberries just before serving.
Top Tips from the Authors:
- Your LCHF Bircher will vary in thickness and texture depending on whether you’re using cream or coconut cream (and also on brand). You adjust the amount of chia seeds slightly (increase or decrease) to suit your preference.
- Leaving the mix in the fridge longer will increase the thickness of the LCHF bircher.
- The exact portion size depends on your appetite – ish up what suits you on the day and keep leftovers in the fridge – it will keep for up to 3 days.