This week Chef Craig has devised a new LCHF Blueberry Muffins recipe, which eliminates the need for nut flours – therefore perfect at this time of year for school lunch box ideas, morning teas at work and “take a plate” events.
A word from Chef Craig Rodger: Are blueberry muffins the best kind of muffins? Fresh blueberries are fantastic if you can get a good price for them at this time of year, but frozen will work just as well. I know nuts are expensive and some schools have a blanket ban on them, so I have been working on this LCHF Blueberry Muffins recipe which side steps the need for nuts.
A word from Caryn, The Whole Food Dietitian: Muffins on LCHF? Let’s be clear, these should still be considered “discretionary calories”. So if you make them, just keep this in mind. But these muffins might be a suitable treat to take along to gatherings or kids parties. Made with blueberries, these muffins pack an awesome antioxidant punch!
A word from Grant, The Fat Professor: This is a great “look alike” LCHF blueberry muffins recipe, and replaces a mainstream item with a healthy alternative. Looks great and tastes great – and makes a cool lunchbox addition.
LCHF Blueberry Muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 12 minutes @ 160°C
Carb count: 10g per muffin
Serves: 6 muffins
- ½ cup (75g) Sunflower seeds
- ⅖ cup (75g) White (regular) quinoa
- ⅖ cup (75g) Linseeds
- 225g Butter, softened
- 75g Xylitol (or stevia to taste)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp (3ml) Vanilla extract 3
- 1 1⁄4 cup (125g) Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp (10g) Baking powder
– Pre-heat oven to 180°C on fan bake.
– In a jug blender grind the linseeds, quinoa and sunflower seeds until they are a fine crumb.
– Cream the butter and xylitol (or stevia) in a separate mixer.
– Add one egg at a time to the creamed butter, followed by the ground seeds prepared before.
– Stir into the mix the vanilla extract, the baking powder and the blueberries.
– Spoon the LCHF blueberry muffins mixture into greased muffin tins and bake into your pre-heated oven 180°C for 10 – 12 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the muffins comes out clean.