Served up for guests or popped into a school lunchbox for something a little different, these LCHF Bagels are little beauts that are sure to impress! Find them in our new book, What The Fat? Recipes.
A word from Chef Craig:
While the recipe for these LCHF Bagels is a little finnicky, sometimes LCHF bread options call for something a little different. The dough rings can be made ahead of time, kept in the fridge and baked as needed; plus they freeze well once baked.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Per Serve (1 bagel or 2 minis):
For the Bagels
- 1 1/2 C grated mozzarella
- 1/4 C grated parmesan
- 1/4 C cream cheese or sour cream
- 1 1/2 C almond meal
- 2 tsp ground psyllium husk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
For the Topping
- 2-4 tsp finely sliced chives
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2-4 slices cold smoked salmon
- 1/3 C grated cheese (to replace salmon) – OR –
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C fan (or 200°C regular) and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Place mozzarella, parmesan and cream cheese into a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave in 30 second bursts on high, stirring in-between each burst. You could also choose to melt them in a pot on the stove over a low heat, but the microwave is faster and easier. Place to one side.
- Place the almond meal, psyllium husk and eggs together in an electric mixer and briefly mix on a medium speed until combined. Add the melted cheeses, and then mix at a medium speed for 2-3 minutes until well combined. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes. You could also choose to mix by hand, but this will take a bit of work.
- Evenly divide your dough into 5 or 10 pieces (depending on whether you’re making standard size or mini bagels).
- While keeping your hands wet, roll each piece of dough out into a log shape, form the rings by pressing each end of the log together, then place on the prepared baking tray.
- Brush the rings with a little water, then sprinkle with the sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing in half and adding your favourite toppings.
- For our salmon topping, mix the chives, cream cheese and lemon zest together. Spread onto your LCHF bagels and top with the cold smoked salmon.
- For our vegetarian option, mix the chives, cream cheese, lemon zest and grated cheese together roughly. Then microwave on high for max 30 seconds to slightly melt the cheese, then mix again prior to spreading onto your LCHF bagels.
- For the alternative vegetarian option, smash the avocado and olive oil together before spreading onto your LCHF bagels.